Check out PENCIL career opportunities and join a team of passionate professionals working to connect students to success across New York City.
As an organization, we pride ourselves on cultivating a culture of excellence, collaboration, professionalism and respect. PENCIL offers rewarding job opportunities, professional development, and a generous benefits package.
PENCIL is committed to creating a workplace that respects and values diversity of cultural, ethnic and experiential backgrounds. We strongly encourage candidates who represent the communities we serve to apply. PENCIL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make employment decisions without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Thank you for considering employment with PENCIL.
New York City schools are filled with students who have potential and ambition to go far and we envision a city filled with students whose opportunities match their ambitions. Since 1995, PENCIL has played a critical role in bringing together business professionals, educators, and students to open minds, open eyes, and open doors. PENCIL makes it easy for business professionals, educators and students to work together—in schools and the workplace. Our hands-on programs, including in-school partnerships, mentoring, internships, and immersive experiences like Principal For A Day®, create targeted opportunities to make a real difference in the classroom and beyond.
The Program Associate (PA) is an integral part of the PENCIL team and will work both independently and collaboratively to effectively implement the PENCIL Internship Program. The PA will conduct recruitment, training and screening of candidates for the Internship Program. The PA will also manage support and evaluation of PENCIL Interns placed at businesses located across New York City’s five boroughs. The role entails significant time engaging with students as well as executing effective data collection, record keeping and other monitoring activities. The PA reports directly to the Associate Director overseeing the PENCIL Internship Program.
The ideal candidate will have experience in public education and possess strong facilitation, organizational, communication, and relationship management skills.
- Work with colleagues to recognize and engage PENCIL business and school partners, assist in the organization’s recruitment and development efforts and build a sense of community across the network.
- Support the identification of recruitment pools (i.e. partnership schools, community-based organizations, etc.) for intern applicants.
- Conduct information sessions to support intern recruitment.
- Oversee the set-up and maintenance of databases to collect and manage student applications.
- Review student application materials to ensure they meet criteria for acceptance into the program.
- Present on PENCIL career readiness content at PENCIL scheduled training sessions and school sessions.
- Work closely with Associate Director & Senior Program Officer to plan and execute PENCIL/Ladders for Leaders pre-employment trainings sessions including preparing materials, event set-up and take down, and tracking student registration and attendance.
- Contribute to the planning and execution of specialized trainings and other enrichment opportunities.
- Lead orientation sessions to inform students about payroll processes and collect required documentation.
- Contribute to and support student internship placement process, including resume review, identifying qualified candidates, student outreach, and student/business follow up.
- Maintain communication with students throughout the matching process to maintain engagement in program activities.
During the Internship
- Schedule and conduct site visits with students and employers to learn about their experiences
- Organize intern payroll records and collaborate with VP of Finance & Administration on processing.
- Collect and enter weekly timesheets for students during the internship
- Support the execution of all requirements of city or grant funded PENCIL contracts.
- Monitor and manage the Ladders for Leaders inbox including responding to student requests and inquiries; and identifying and elevating areas of concern.
- Support the collection and management of documentation related to applications and enrollment
- Update and share content to the PENCIL Internship Alumni LinkedIn page
- Provide regular reports and status updates about the various phases of the program.
- Contribute to the improvement of systems and procedures for administering of the PENCIL internship program through collaboration with PENCIL’s Programs staff.
- Must be available to work some evenings and weekends for trainings or events as scheduled.
- Participate in special projects or opportunities as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and in a collaborative environment and to influence others to ensure successful relationships
- Proven project management skills; event management skills preferred
- Experience working with students; youth development a plus
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with data management; Salesforce experience preferred
- Proven organization and time management skills to complete a high volume of varied responsibilities in a fast-paced setting
- Strong sense of adaptability needed to thrive in a growing and evolving organization
- High standards of excellence and a willingness to do what it takes to get the job done
- Passion for improving public schools and for increasing opportunities for public school students
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Bachelor’s Degree, or a combination of education and experience in a similar capacity
Compensation will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. Benefits include a generous health insurance plan, a retirement plan, as well as vacation and sick leave policies.
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Program Associate.” Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, PENCIL is committed to creating a workplace that respects and values diversity of cultural, ethnic and experiential backgrounds. We strongly encourage candidates who represent the communities we serve to apply. PENCIL will make employment decisions without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.