Check back soon for new PENCIL career opportunities and join a team of passionate professionals working to connect students to success across New York City.
As an organization, we pride ourselves on cultivating a culture of excellence, collaboration, professionalism and respect. PENCIL offers rewarding job opportunities, professional development, and a generous benefits package.
PENCIL is committed to creating a workplace that respects and values diversity of cultural, ethnic and experiential backgrounds. We strongly encourage candidates who represent the communities we serve to apply. PENCIL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make employment decisions without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
New York City schools are filled with students who have potential and ambition to go far and we envision a city filled with students whose opportunities match their ambitions. Since 1995, PENCIL has played a critical role in bringing together business professionals, educators, and students to open minds, open eyes, and open doors. PENCIL makes it easy for business professionals, educators and students to work together—in schools and the workplace. Our hands-on programs, including in-school partnerships, mentoring, internships, and immersive experiences like Principal for a Day®, create targeted opportunities to make a real difference in the classroom and beyond.
Thank you for considering employment with PENCIL.
PENCIL is seeking a highly motivated individual to work in its Communications department on a part-time basis. This position will report to and work closely with the Senior Communications Manager to support the execution of communications needs across the organization. This is a part-time, hourly paid position of approximately 25 hours per week; hours are flexible depending on schedule (i.e., school or other commitments).
- Helping to create, plan and execute engaging social media and blog content; tailoring, coordinating and monitoring across PENCIL’s social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram)
- Analyzing reach and performance of social media posts and website using tools like Google Analytics, and making adjustments as necessary
- Updating website content via WordPress platform, including developing and writing original material for the PENCIL blog and newsletter; generating original content, editing contributor content, including first-person stories from PENCIL students, volunteers and business networks; and designing/updating graphics and layout
- Troubleshoot website issues
- Event reporting and photography assistance; photo editing for social media, and staff bios
- Researching and identifying viable new communications resources to support program and partnership model structures and incorporate as organization expands by exploring content of peer organizations for best practices
- Supporting maintenance and expansion of digital photo library (including website media library), aiding in organization and cataloging of PENCIL’s image drive
- Improving communications administrative procedures by organizing and updating instructions and procedural documentation
- Assist with event set-up and/or break-down as needed
- Update ongoing communications content calendar
- Create graphics for website, email campaigns, and print/digital materials, including downloadable forms, business cards, flyers, banners, greeting cards, annual report, and promotional giveaways for annual events, e.g., PENCIL Gala, Principal For A Day, Run with PENCIL, summer internship program, etc.
- Source outside vendors for projects as needed and act as project liaison to manage deliverables
- Maintain and update Google Ads account to improve keyword performance
- Set up and schedule email campaigns via MailChimp
- Knowledge of social media platforms and social media content production, using enterprise publishing tools such as Hootsuite, Mailchimp and WordPress
- Graphic Design (Canva, PhotoShop), photography, and photo editing skills desired
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills required
- Strong writing, editing, communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with various departments to finish projects and to juggle multiple priorities
- Proactive self-starter, organized and detail-oriented, with a can-do attitude who enjoys getting creative
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to handle deadlines and last-minute projects
This is an excellent opportunity to gain experience working with a professional staff in an enthusiastic, education non-profit organization.
Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Communications Assistant”. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, PENCIL is committed to creating a workplace that respects and values diversity of cultural, ethnic and experiential backgrounds. We strongly encourage candidates who represent the communities we serve to apply. PENCIL will make employment decisions without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.